Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ribbon of Darkness

That was definitely a rumble. Reluctantly I forced my eyes open. to get some idea of the time. The big trucks that drove full speed past Sarah’s never seem to worry about the time. I knew it was early because the sun had already started to lighten up the sky. But as the days were being to get longer, morning started happening around 6:30 now. Since Jesse and Sarah were away on a little Anchorage get away, I would need to take advantage of any quiet time I could get. I could fit in a couple more winks and still have a few minutes to myself before the kids woke up.
The next rumble really got my attention. This was no truck; it was thunder. I spring out of bed and race across the upstairs to look out Sarah’s window. As soon as I gazed out I knew. Redoubt had blown again. This time it was no little affair. The noise I heard was the thunder that accompanied the lighting that streaked across the immense black cloud of darkness headed directly over the house. I knew we were in for some major ash. What happened over the next few hours was an education as slowly the sky over us grew darker and darker. The beautiful slivers of blue sky on either sided of us grew smaller and smaller, until at last I gazed out a total blackout. Had it not been for the porch light, I would have missed the sight of ash falling like a steady rain; covering everything in ¼ inch of ash. By this time the kids were wake and feed. The ash fallout had passed but not without leaving everything an eerie gray. Then the wind picked up. For the rest of the day, the caustic gray particles blew off the trees and ate through the snow as they absorbed the warm rays of the sun. The result was jagged crystals of gray ice. By midmorning, I was amazed to see cars and trucks boldly kick up huge clouds of ash dust as they flew down the road. Fearless or foolish; I am not sure which. There was nothing to do but wait for the dust to settle. We managed to make the best of it. We stayed inside made cookies and jumped off Momma’s bed into a 2 foot high cloud of pillows. It would take a few more days before the ash stropped blowing around, and only snow or rain would make thing less dismal to look at outside. The only thing left was lingering ash and the memory of the ribbon of darkness.

No comments:

View of Ninilchik

View of Ninilchik

Precious Moments

  • The giggling of toddlers when it's suppose to be naptime
  • Watching my baby cuddle her baby
  • Feeling a hug so tight from little arms that hate to see you go.
  • A tabu belly laugh over Auden's dramatic reaction to well deserved disciplined. (My inability to contain myself leads to a self-imposed timeout to the pantry.)
  • Watching a two year old kiss a salmon.
  • Being privy to Auden's first casting practice aided by Buzz, the kitty.
  • The prideful sharing of going "poopie in the pottie".
  • A great meal of Bison preparded together.
  • Listening to the China Poot survival story as told by survivors Rick and Sarah.
  • Sitting on a rock on the shore of the Kachemak Bay watching the ebb and flow of the ocean.
  • Catching of glimpse of tender moments between Sarah and Jesse.

More Precious Moments

  • Getting busted by a two year old
  • Watchiing a child's refine the art of walking
  • Partaking in a child's first pony ride
  • Getting a rebuilt computer from Ebay for $234
  • Taking a mud bath plunge without dumping the toddler