Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Last of Tustumena

Thursday was a hard day; My last day at Tustumena. The entire staff met at Rocky’s Café for breakfast. There I was present with a Tustumena pin and a token gift as a farewell. Without a doubt, they appreciated me as a person and professional almost as much as I appreciated working with them. I was able to hold it together and accept the recognition without breaking into tears. That wasn’t the case at checkout.

I signed up to checkout first, because I knew the longer I stayed the harder it would be. It was still hard. My principal, Bob, went through the list and then looked at me and said “I guess I all that’s left if to wish you a good summer." He stood up with outstretched arms and gave me a parting hug saying, "We're really going to miss you.” Yeah. That’s when I lost it. I had no words and my tears said it all. I had said everything I wanted to say before, and now even if I wanted to say something else, I couldn’t. I made my exit.

Within the next half hour, I said my good-byes to everyone else. Some of them respected colleagues, several of them friends. I know we will stay in touch. I shut my door for the last time and left. If things would have been different, I would be staying at Tustumena. Leaving there is one of the hardest things I ever had to do. In may cultures, people mourn a loss by cutting their hair.

I sat in that chair and watched hair that had never been shorter than shoulder length hit the floor. By the time I was finished, I accepted the fact that things are not be the way I would like them to be. I also made the decision to trust that everything is as it should be. Now, even if I wanted to say something else, I wouldn't.

No comments:

View of Ninilchik

View of Ninilchik

Precious Moments

  • The giggling of toddlers when it's suppose to be naptime
  • Watching my baby cuddle her baby
  • Feeling a hug so tight from little arms that hate to see you go.
  • A tabu belly laugh over Auden's dramatic reaction to well deserved disciplined. (My inability to contain myself leads to a self-imposed timeout to the pantry.)
  • Watching a two year old kiss a salmon.
  • Being privy to Auden's first casting practice aided by Buzz, the kitty.
  • The prideful sharing of going "poopie in the pottie".
  • A great meal of Bison preparded together.
  • Listening to the China Poot survival story as told by survivors Rick and Sarah.
  • Sitting on a rock on the shore of the Kachemak Bay watching the ebb and flow of the ocean.
  • Catching of glimpse of tender moments between Sarah and Jesse.

More Precious Moments

  • Getting busted by a two year old
  • Watchiing a child's refine the art of walking
  • Partaking in a child's first pony ride
  • Getting a rebuilt computer from Ebay for $234
  • Taking a mud bath plunge without dumping the toddler