Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Awakened at the River

Today I saw my first mosquito and heard my first spring peeper. They reminded me of how much I love nature. For these last few weeks in Alaska, I am fortunate enough to be staying along the banks of the Kasilof River thanks to the generosity of one of my teacher friends, Marina Bosick. Her home is part the 160 acres homesteaded by her parents. The river surrounds the property, creating a private, sanctuary-like peninsula. This is the Alaska I had in mind.

For the first time in a long time, I walked down a secluded road and encounted only the things placed here by nature. The possibility of running into a grizzly brought a sense of adventure, but the overall feeling that came over me is one of peace and contentment. The long winter is over. The trees are budding, and the silty-green water swirled and babbled. The clouds parted to show a flash of blue sky that allowed the rays of sun to glisten off the feathers of a passing seagull. It had been there all long; Only now was I present to enjoy it.

I had forgotten how nourishing it is to take the time to meld into the natural world and just be. In those moments one easily gains perspective and inspiration. Everything becomes obvious and significant. Just hours before, it was just another day - another freeze frame of life; beautiful, but inanimate. Now, I am awake and grateful for every moment. Once again, I realize how truly blessed I am.

No comments:

View of Ninilchik

View of Ninilchik

Precious Moments

  • The giggling of toddlers when it's suppose to be naptime
  • Watching my baby cuddle her baby
  • Feeling a hug so tight from little arms that hate to see you go.
  • A tabu belly laugh over Auden's dramatic reaction to well deserved disciplined. (My inability to contain myself leads to a self-imposed timeout to the pantry.)
  • Watching a two year old kiss a salmon.
  • Being privy to Auden's first casting practice aided by Buzz, the kitty.
  • The prideful sharing of going "poopie in the pottie".
  • A great meal of Bison preparded together.
  • Listening to the China Poot survival story as told by survivors Rick and Sarah.
  • Sitting on a rock on the shore of the Kachemak Bay watching the ebb and flow of the ocean.
  • Catching of glimpse of tender moments between Sarah and Jesse.

More Precious Moments

  • Getting busted by a two year old
  • Watchiing a child's refine the art of walking
  • Partaking in a child's first pony ride
  • Getting a rebuilt computer from Ebay for $234
  • Taking a mud bath plunge without dumping the toddler