Saturday, May 2, 2009

Adios Ninilchik

I am in utter disbelief. My time here in the little cedar house near Ninilchik is at an end. I’m really not shedding any tears. I took my final walk down Rachel Road and was good with the fact that I will most likely walk down it again. This house has kept me safe and warm, and even served as a quiet retreat, but most often it was just the place I where I was passing the time.

There was plenty of peace and quiet. Yet, in some regards I feel like I have wasted a portion of my life being held captive with little to do but become absorbed in satellite T.V. It was never my intention, but that is how it worked out. I had hoped to write more, but didn’t. I wanted to exercise often, but didn’t. While I was safe and warm, it was never home.

For the last six years prior to this year, I have read a book called, “Bud, Not Buddy” to my class. Through out the book, Bud explores a hypothesis told to him by his mother; “When one door closes, another one opens.” Closing this door will only be sad because I will one step closer to the end of my adventure. The next month will be but a corridor to the trip home. A time to reflect, tie-up loose ends, and come to terms with leaving the life and people I leave behind. This will be the hardest part of the entire adventure; saying good-bye.

But like Cat Steven’s door analogy says. “Life is like a maze of doors and they all open from the side you’re on. Keeping on pushing hard boy you'll find, You're going to wind up where you started from, You’re going to wind up where you started from.” Before I know it I will return to where I started from; I will be going back “home” to Wisconsin.

I have this final month before I leave this grand experience behind and start the long ride back. I am ready. The challenge will be to make the most of it. There are things are still a few things I need to accomplish before I leave. As quickly as time flies, I plan to make the best of it.

No comments:

View of Ninilchik

View of Ninilchik

Precious Moments

  • The giggling of toddlers when it's suppose to be naptime
  • Watching my baby cuddle her baby
  • Feeling a hug so tight from little arms that hate to see you go.
  • A tabu belly laugh over Auden's dramatic reaction to well deserved disciplined. (My inability to contain myself leads to a self-imposed timeout to the pantry.)
  • Watching a two year old kiss a salmon.
  • Being privy to Auden's first casting practice aided by Buzz, the kitty.
  • The prideful sharing of going "poopie in the pottie".
  • A great meal of Bison preparded together.
  • Listening to the China Poot survival story as told by survivors Rick and Sarah.
  • Sitting on a rock on the shore of the Kachemak Bay watching the ebb and flow of the ocean.
  • Catching of glimpse of tender moments between Sarah and Jesse.

More Precious Moments

  • Getting busted by a two year old
  • Watchiing a child's refine the art of walking
  • Partaking in a child's first pony ride
  • Getting a rebuilt computer from Ebay for $234
  • Taking a mud bath plunge without dumping the toddler